Swan River Sailing has been providing structured team building programs to many of Perth's high profile companies for over 18 years.
Our team building program is built around a professionally facilitated workshop, "Teamwork is Everything", based on the winning 1983 America's Cup team aboard the yacht "Australia II". The workshop is presented by Skip Lissiman, a member of the winning Australia II crew.
Held in a meeting room at the prestigious Royal Perth Yacht Club, the workshop covers a range of team building activities and the theoretical elements of team dynamics. Both half-day and full-day program formats are available, with catering organised through the Royal Perth Yacht Club.
As previous sailing experience is not required, a comprehensive sailing briefing follows the workshop with participants broken into teams of 5 to 7 people per yacht. Once aboard with their experienced instructor, teams receive a comprehensive safety briefing followed by an explanation and allocation of the roles on the yacht.
After a practice sailing session to familiarise participants with their roles, a series of short races will be conducted with our instructors coaching team members to build upon their understanding of the elements of team dynamics discussed in the workshop. Racing against other yachts provides teams with a measure of their performance and highlights the importance of the essential elements of teamwork in reaching defined goals.
Teams will return to shore and be guided through an analysis of their progress throughout the sailing activity to consolidate the lessons taught in the workshop.
Prior to the day, our facilitator will meet with you to discuss your objectives for the training day so that we may customise the program to maximise the relevance to your team.
Our program objective is to provide participants with skills that will assist an increase in productivity, communication, planning and teamwork through continuous improvement. The ability of participants to adapt to the task and work together as a team directly affects to the results they can accomplish in each race, giving participants a fantastic sense of ownership of their achievements.
At the conclusion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand team dynamics and the importance of these within an organization,
- Recognise and value diversity when allocating team members the best role for their abilities,
- Develop techniques to manage teams and team meetings more effectively,
- Apply new ways to build team trust, share information and facilitate action,
- Improve their ability to resolve team conflict,
- Fast-track problem solving,
- Increase team building skills and enhance the ability to communicate team findings and recommendations to other members,
- Reflect on a significant shared learning experience that bonds them to other team members,
- And sail a yacht!